Visas, Passport Issues and Taxes

What are the Visa requirements for entering Israel / Palestine?

Israel controls all entry and exits to Israel / Palestine.  Most western developed countries can get a visa on arrival at Allenby Bridge, Ben Gurion Airport, norther Jordan River Crossing or Arava C All visitors to Israel must hold a passport that is valid for at least six months from the date they are departing the country.

Visitors are entitled to remain in Israel up to three months from the date of their arrival, in accordance with the conditions of the visa issued to them. Visitors intending to work in Israel must submit a request to the Ministry of the Interior for a special visa.

Important note for tourists continuing from Israel on to Arab countries (except Egypt and Jordan): It is recommended that you request that an Israeli stamp does not appear on your passport. You must notify the clerk of your request before your documents are stamped.

Usually a visitor gets a 3-month visa. Here is a list of countries that can get a visa on arrival.

​If you need to apply for a visa in advance then you must do so at an Israeli Embassy.  Usually you should do this at the Embassy of your home country.  If you are a member of a group of 10 persons or more and want to book a tour with us, then we can apply for a group visa on your behalf.  We need 4-6 weeks to do this (depending on your religion - 6 weeks for Muslims, 4 weeks for others).  Contact us for further details.

We can apply for a visa for you if you are a citizen of a country that does not have diplomatic relations with Israel as long as you book a tour with us.  We need 4-6 weeks to do this. Contact us for further details.

Israel has a policy of sometimes giving a visa to Palestinian Authority areas only.  If you get this visa you are not allowed to visit Jerusalem or Israel.  If you want to avoid getting this visa then if asked make sure that you state you want to visit Israel and Jerusalem.

On some occasions Israel has refused entry to travelers of Arab ethnicity or who are Muslim or are deemed to be activists supporting Palestinian causes.  If you fall in these groups, it is likely you will experience a delay at the border and face some questions. 

Will the Israeli authorities stamp my passport?

Crossing via Allenby Bridge:

The current (since early 2013) policy in Israel is not to stamp passports but to issue travelers with a personalized printed card.  This card has a scanned copy of your passport photo on it, along with your name and entry date.  This card must be kept with your passport throughout the duration of your stay in Israel.  Be sure to keep this with you, as it is your proof of entry to the country and you may need it to show at Israeli checkpoints if asked.  You also need to show it when leaving Israel/ Palestine.  If you actually would like a stamp in your passport, the authorities will still provide this for you if requested.

However, please note the rules do change and we recommend you still mention to the authorities that you don't want your passport stamped.  We cannot be present there to assist you inside the immigration terminal; nor do we have control over Israeli Immigration practices.  From our experience the authorities are aware many people don't want their passport stamps and are generally fine with this.  We have not had an incident whereby a passport has been stamped against the wishes of the tourist for over 10 years.  We, of course, cannot be held responsible in any way if your document gets stamped.

Crossing via Sheikh Hussein Bridge:

The common policy at Sheikh Hussein Bridge is to stamp passports.  However, you can still ask not to have your passport stamped, but please be aware that we strongly urge you to be clear to the authorities about that, or else your passport would get stamped.

If you ask for your passport not to be stamped, you will receive a piece of paper at the border, and the authorities will stamp that instead as proof of your entry and exit to Palestine/ Israel, and likewise entering Jordan. Like at Allenby We cannot be present there to assist you inside the immigration terminal; nor do we have control over Israeli Immigration practices, so we can’t be held responsible if any documents get stamped.

Missing Jordan Exit Stamp

Please note, if you arrive in Jordan at the airport, you will have an entry stamp to Jordan.  If you cross into Israel and don’t return to Jordan, you won’t have an exit stamp from Jordan, which then raises questions how you left Jordan, and is clear that you must have visited ISrasel.  If this is you plan, then on your arrival to Jordan, you need to tell the staff at the airport that you want your visa on a bit of paper, since you will be leaving via Israel.  (This doesn’t happen often, so we can’t promise the immigration staff at Amman Airport will comply with this, but you can ask).

If you then leave Jordan at Allenby or Sheikh Hussein you can avoid getting your passport stamped into Israel.  If you however don’t return to Jordan and leave from Ben Gurion, you won’t get a Jordan exit stamp.

Will the Jordanian authorities stamp my passport?

Jordan does not stamp passports at Allenby Bridge/ King Hussein Bridge.  They do stamp passports at the Jordan River Crossing (Sheikh Hussein Bridge) and Rabin Crossing (Arava); though they will stamp a separate piece of paper (& not your passport) if asked.  We cannot be held responsible in any way if your document gets stamped.

What are the Exit Taxes out of Jordan and Israel / Palestine?

From Jordan: 

Exit tax out of Jordan (JOD 10 pp, approx. $15 - subject to change). You are exempt from this tax if you are in Jordan no more than one night.

From Israel / Palestine:​

From West Bank to Jordan at Allenby Bridge or King Hussein Bridge: 182 Shekels (approximately $52 - subject to change).

​From Israel to Jordan at Jordan River Valley Border / Sheikh Hussein Bridge): 108 Shekels pp (approximately $32).

Exit taxes need to be paid in local currency, but there are currency exchanges at the borders.

Are there currency exchanges at the border crossing points?

​Yes, there are currency exchange facilities at the border crossing points.

Visa Israel Requirements by Country:

If you are a citizen of the following countries and do not plan on staying more than 3 months, then you do NOT need a visa for Israel. This list was last updated on Feb. 2016.


Central African Republic, Lesotho, Malawi, Mauritius, South Africa, Swaziland, Vanuatu

Asia Pacific

Australia, Cook Islands, Fiji Islands, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea (South), Macau, Micronesia, Mongolia, Nauru, New Zealand, Niue, Palau, Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Tonga


Albania, Andorra, Austria, Belarus, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Macedonia, Malta, Man and Canal Islands, Moldova (biometric only), Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russian Federation, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Ukraine, United Kingdom

Central and South America

Argentina, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Grenada, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, St. Kitts & Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Surinam, Trinidad & Tobago, Uruguay, Venezuela

North America

Canada, United States


So do I need a visa if my country of citizenship is on the list above? No, you don't!